[ExI] will raise bugs for food

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 00:51:03 UTC 2010

>> It just seems like with all our technology, we should be able to figure out
>> some way to eat the little bastards.
They've figured it out in Asia. I stayed on Khaosan Road in Bangkok once, where all the backpackers' inns are, and the sidewalks are lined with vendors selling cheap food from carts -- spring-rolls and pad thai and the usual fare. My first stroll down I came across an old woman proudly hawking roasted insects -- they looked liked beetles but I couldn't be sure and her English wasn't that good. They definitely looked crispy though. And she assured me they were delicious.
I passed.
I read once that the average person eats fifteen spiders a year. They crawl into our open mouths while we're asleep and we swallow them. That's enough insect protein for me, thanks. In this case, consider me anti-tech. I'd rather dine on nutra-loaf.
Darren
P.S. If anyone wants to point out that a spider is an arachnid and not an insect, forget it. The distinction is lost. The closest I get to eating creatures with more than four legs is lobster.