[ExI] will raise bugs for food

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 11:09:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, 'sounds like you might have a pet pig.

No, I just don't like to see ignorant stereotypes propagated. I live
on acreage and have kept livestock. I've never had pigs, but I've
talked to people who did.

> I know someone with a pet
> pig.  Certainly the pig is smarter than their dog.

They have a reputation for being dirty and smelly. Dirty, yes. They
wallow in mud to cool off and protect themselves from sunburn and
insects. But given proper habitat, they're careful to isolate their
wastes away from the wallow and sleeping areas. And by all accounts
they're the most intelligent farm animals, except possibly for some of
the smarter farmers. :-)

> Having met both, I
> doubt I'd be willing to process either one from walkin-around animals
> to skillet-ready.  I'm pretty happy with the modern approach to meat:
> shrink-wrapped in a foam tray at the grocery store.

The vast majority of meat consumers would be unwilling or unable to
convert an animal to a meal. I think doing that at least once is
something everyone should experience. Heck, even killing and cleaning
a fish would be eye opening for most modern proles.

> If there's a
> substance that provides the same nutrition and is as tasty as meat
> that doesn't require chopping up animals, I'm all for it.  Quorn is
> pretty good.  That TVP riblet substance is pretty good too.  I'll give
> bugburgers a try when I see them in my grocer's freezer.

Never heard of Quorn. I'll have to check it out. Maybe cultured meat
will become practical someday soon.

-Dave