[ExI] will raise bugs for food

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 22:35:46 UTC 2010

2010/8/5 Gregory Jones <spike66 at att.net>
> Suppose I were to figure out a way to breed tons of bugs, get them to go out and grow large by devouring other bugs, then return home, where I put them into some kind of giant blender and create a huge vat of repulsive high protein goo, with a microwave irradiator to sterilize the revolting glop.  Then I figured out way to make cookies or biscuits out of it.  Why is it that no one would want to devour them?  Or even use them for pet food?  But for some reason they would agree to giving them to the hogs, then eating the bacon?

I say make that HPG (high protein goo) - turn it into something "fun"
to eat.  Either nuggetize it or extrude it into high-temperature oils
(HPG funnel cake)  and put it in a brightly colored box with a cartoon
character endorsing it.  If it is ready in under 2 minutes via
microwave, you'll sell millions.  I imagine the same doubt was present
in "pizza rolls" - but now? forget about it.

If you advertise on children's tv shows that it's cool to eat HPG
because it comes from bugs but adults won't eat it because they're
squeamish sissies, I'm sure you can force a market into existence.
All you need is the right meme.  If that fails, you can rely on the
environmental friendliness of eating bugs instead of cows - you know
because of all those horrible greenhouse gases from cow "moo"s...