[ExI] Jaron Lanier on AI and Singularity, not transhumanism

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Aug 9 17:41:25 UTC 2010

John Clark said:

>Just today in an editorial Jaron Lanier in the New York Times makes
>the tired old claim that Transhumanism is really a religion and then
>proceeds to savagely attack it; proving he doesn't believe his own argument.

I only skimmed the piece, but I saw no mention of transhumanism.
Instead, he was talking about some views of AI and that of
Singularitarians. Those are not transhumanism. Important difference.
He might call transhumanism religious elsewhere, but he did not do
that in the NYT piece. Please, let's keep transhumanism distinct from
Singularitarianism.

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher