[ExI] Religions and violence

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 17:03:15 UTC 2010

I believe most people use "faith" in either two senses. One as a synonym for
"confident belief" -- the way you use it below. The other is, to use a phrase,
"believing what you know ain't so" -- as in Tertullian's  Actully, the more
charitable to put this is believing against the evidence and reasons for
something. The latter is the kind usually used to mean religious faith -- i.e.,
believing something for which no other evidence exists and often against other
evidence, logic, etc.

Of course, people will often confuse these differing meanings and sometimes this
is done purposefully -- as in when a religious believer wants everyone to
believe only people with religious faith are confident. (Think also of the
idiotic barb, "You don't believe in anything" often tossed at atheists. Never
use such a statement within five meters of me. It's sure to result in a leap
without any warning growl.)

Regards,

Dan