[ExI] Religions and violence

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:49:31 UTC 2010

> As I understand it, Jesus brought a new dispensation, rendering the  moral imperatives in the barbaric Old Testament obsolete.

I suspect he would have, if it had not been for Paul, who re-instated a few of them in Corinthians and Romans. And Paul is responsible for much of the evangelical flavor of early Christianity. His
zeal for carrying the word and his judgment of those who didn't listen was legendary. He still walked into Ephesus after being warned his life was in danger if he tried to preach in monotheistic Jewish synagogues and in the polytheistic city itself. He did it anyway. If Jesus was the message, Paul was the very determined messenger.

> When a fundamentalist Christian says that "God hates homos", they are ignoring their own doctrine> of Christ's new dispensation.

Again, thank Paul for the first official selective interpretation of Christ's doctrine, ignoring the admonition to "judge not" and giving modern Christians New Testament scriptural support for
homophobia in Romans 1: 26-27.

It's hard to find a religion that doesn't condemn homosexuality. Even the relatively benign Baha’is denigrate it in their founding literature, though practitioners of the faith thankfully tend to
ignore that bit.

Darren

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-Herbert Spencer