[ExI] Music fails to chime with Islamic values

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 19:48:25 UTC 2010

Yes, and it makes sense (from the point of view of the religious or political
elite -- usually not separate in most earlier societies), the more developed and
organized things are, to try to keep rival entrants into the music "market." In
other words, you don't want just anyone giving themselves or other people such
experiences. That would either de-mystify the experience (as in, this experience
is no big deal, so why should we should obey all the social rules the elites
tell us to) or de-mystify the elites having control over it (as in maybe we can
talk to the spirits ourselves, so why no cut out the middlemen?).

Again, though, this might not be a conscious process of elites recognizing the
actual power of music and the threat it could represent, but more just a process
of elites that control music tend to be more successful in the long run, so they
become the norm.

Regards,

Dan