[ExI] Art might upset power structures in society/was Re: Music fails to chime with Islamic values

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 19:55:53 UTC 2010

Further in this vein of the relationship of art to ideology and power, one might
consider a recent double review by Jeff Riggenbach:

http://mises.org/daily/4236

While both books should be of interest to people here, but, for this discussion,
skim down to his review of Lynn Hunt's _Inventing Human Rights_. She locates the
rise of the concept of human rights as helped along by the rise of the modern
novel. What's the pay off here? Again, it seems, an art form might have upset
the balance of power in society. (And I don't know if Hunt mentions it in her
book, which I've yet to read, but novels were looked down upon and even
suppressed by elites. I doubt this was because they understood that novels might
help to usher in a new age in thinking about human freedom and dignity, but it's
likely some understood that novels and other forms of mass literacy were
upsetting the balance of power in society.)

Regards,

Dan