[ExI] Heinlein biography

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Mon Aug 16 22:54:13 UTC 2010

The first half of a long-awaited two-volume biography of Rear Admiral Robert
Anson Heinlein is being released tomorrow.

William H. Patterson Jr., Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue With His Century,
Volume 1 1907-1948: Learning Curve

List $29.99, but Amazon sold me a pre-order for $19.79.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765319608

It got a rave review in the Washington Post.

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/11/AR2010081105457_pf.html>

Among my regrets in life is that by the time it occurred to me to try
to arrange
a VIP tour of the Livermore lab for Heinlein, it was no longer
feasible. I spoke
to Jerry Pournelle and others then, who'd all agreed he'd have enjoyed it, but
he was simply too infirm for the trip, even by chopper.

I suppose meeting the man might have tarnished the legend in my mind, but
I'd have taken that risk without hesitation. Likewise, reading the bio might,
but I'd rather respect the actual flawed man than a conjure.

-- David.