[ExI] Probability Processor

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 08:57:33 UTC 2010

The US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency financed the basic
research necessary to create a processor that thinks in terms of
probabilities instead of the certainties of ones and zeros. And now
Lyric Semiconductor, the spin-off from the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology where the work was done, is going to spend the next couple
of years building a commercial probability processor called the GP5.

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/17/lyric_probability_processor/>

>From 2009 through 2013, Lyric is doing basic research to create a
programmable probability processor, including a high-level programming
language. DARPA has first dibs on the GP5 processors and this
programming language, which is called Probability Synthesis to
Bayesian Logic, or PSBL for short.

Great!  So we can look forward to our pcs saying that 2 + 2 probably
equals 4 and have entertaining arguments with it.

'I'm sorry, Bill, I can't do that'.
'Yes, you can.  Just do it!'
'Well, I'm not sure.........

BillK