[ExI] A million lines of code

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 22:15:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM,   Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

There is an interesting analogy here.  People do understand
microprocessors which are up in this class of complexity (it takes a
million lines of code to describe one).

Sort of.

Anyone can grasp the functional level of how a microprocessor works,
but as you get deeper into the modules (pipelines circuits for
example) the understanding fades out for all but a small number of
experts on that particular section--and they don't understand the next
section over.  *Nobody* understands a modern microprocessor from the
highest levels down through the modules to the transistors.

Incidentally, you have no need I can think of to invoke protein
folding as a problem for specifying brain development.  In fact, you
probably don't even need to know what they are, diffuseable attractor
proteins A-Z is probably detail enough.

In any case, modeling the brain is going to be a big enough problem
that the simulation hardware/software that results may be
"understandable" only in the same sense that people "understand"
microprocessors.

Keith Henson

PS apologies to anyone who speaks up and says they understand a modern
microprocessor from the top level all the way down to the transistor
level.