[ExI] Meanwhile in China

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Aug 23 20:12:46 UTC 2010

Mirco Romanato wrote:
> Il 19/08/2010 16.42, Stefano Vaj ha scritto:
>
>> 2010/8/16 Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it
>> <mailto:painlord2k at libero.it>>
>>

>> One may approve or disapprove such semi-colonial status, which has
>> historical reasons, but I dare say it is a fact. An eloquent
>> confirmation thereof is the jurisdictional exemption enjoyed by US
>> military in the country, and in practical terms by intelligence people
>> as well.
>>

> Well, you know as a lawyer that this sort of privilege is the normality
> for all military forces. Italy's included.
> The soldier of the military expedition in Somalia, in the '90, were
> accused of torture and other, but the only tribunal that were allowed to
> try them was a military tribunal in Italy. And obviously they were
> acquitted.
>
> Anyone allowing a foreign tribunal to have jurisdiction over his
> military is better to disband his military.

Even in matters of international law such as the Geneva Convention?  I
don't think so.   Torture should be banned by international law and all
arms, intelligence agencies, police forces etc should be made to stand
charges in as unbiased a court as possible when there is evidence of
torture.

- samantha