[ExI] Parts 1 to 3 of The Perils of Precaution now online

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 21:06:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM, samantha <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> If it is unclear in the rest of the book why innovation is so crucially
> important then that lack would need addressing.  But I doubt very much Max
> would miss that.

He got it in the later parts.  It's just, that specific phrasing - the claim
that all of us want
to protect our freedom to innovate technologically - sounded like something
a reader
could easily take to dismiss the rest of the book unread.  "Seeking out
information that
confirms one's biases" and all that.  (Yes, we all want things that
logically result from
technological innovation.  Many people simultaneously want those fruits and
claim to not
want to let people innovate, specifically rejecting the costs in societal
disruption and
unknown potential harm.  They hope and pray and believe there is a way to
get the
benefits without any cost, if they think about it at all.  Since this
dissonance is part of
what's being addressed, better phrasing might be called for.)