[ExI] Parts 1 to 3 of The Perils of Precaution now online

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Mon Aug 23 21:14:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM, samantha <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> I think that this is part of the point of the book, that protection does
> not trump innovation.  If it is unclear in the rest of the book why
> innovation is so crucially important then that lack would need addressing.
>  But I doubt very much Max would miss that.   And the objections above need
> some examination, for instance when someone makes the environmental claim.

I don't think Adrian was disagreeing with you.  I think he was simply
suggesting a change in language for rhetorical effect, to better appeal to
the (target?) audience's values.  Even if the need for innovation as a
principle is explained, it would still probably be more persuasively
effective to reword things in terms of prior values, as long as those values
aren't what you're fighting against.  And I don't think the suggested change
("Find ways to fix the problems - ours and the world's - that we care
about") is problematic.

--
Jebadiah Moore
http://blog.jebdm.net