[ExI] Privacy vs the future

Sergio M.L. Tarrero sergio.ml.tarrero at mac.com
Sat Aug 28 08:22:20 UTC 2010

This is my first post to this list in a very long time. I happened to
open up this mailbox today, and what I saw compelled me to write.

Very thoughtful observations, Samantha. I totally concur. Particularly
with your comments in the last paragraph, following your questions.

In case some people here have not read it, the Lifeboat Foundation has
a program which advocates sousveillance via all kinds of sensors, from
the large to the very tiny. It's currently called the Security
Preserver: http://lifeboat.com/ex/security.preserver

For the resons that you well point out (namely, that we really want to
have the freedom to record our lives, everything that we see and hear,
to begin with, or it's going to turn into even more of a logistical
nightmare; etc.), I have advocated for transparency for a quite a
while now. I have also advocated for mutual accountability, and
sousveillance. We may still have a window of opportunity to push for
reform of our legal systems to allow for such--but we'd better start
soon, because it's not going to be easy to convince bureaucrats and
lawmakers, and people in positions of high power in general, who are
still living in the past (and, somewhat, the present) that this is
what needs to be done. Top-down surveillance, such a police
surveillance and surveillance by intelligence agencies, may stop some
crime, and some terrorism... so it cannot be avoided, nor regarded as
totally a bad thing. But we all know that, depending on the particular
agent or agency doing the surveillance (within the system), the
particular state doing it (and its values and goals), and even down to
the particular individual doing it (or using the information to give
orders), and so on, it can breed oppression of the worst kind--and it
often has, in the past. The power and resources of a state, and a
multitude of cameras and mics spread over a city or country (or
beyond), against an individual.

Given our unusual and changing circumstances, and given the level of
threats that we are starting to encounter in the world (and they are
only going to get worse with more advanced technologies with potential
for genocide), sousveillance, if set up correctly, can be a good
thing. Some good things about it that immediately come to mind:

- Open source monitoring and police work. By pooling on the eyes, ears
and brains (and cameras, mics, sensors, computers...) of the populace,
it becomes much easier to spot foes, terrorists (or those promoting
terrorist mindsets/activities), active criminals (of the kind that
hurt or plan to hurt others or their property, women, children...),
nasty polluting corporations, and so on. Once it becomes fashionable
for people in mass numbers to record their lives much more intensely
(initially with simple devices such as video-recording glasses), the
wiggle room for people who hurt others or endanger others' lives (I am
always annoyed and amazed by what some people get away with, day after
day, while driving their death machines...), automatically and
radically shrinks. So much so, in fact, the eventually it simply does
not pay to do such things... and those who take their chances and
choose to do it, would live much more paranoid lives (which would also
raise some flags in people around them), try to avoid being watched or
recorded (more flags), and mostly end up being psychologically so
uncomfortable with it that they may desist in their ways. Or else...
they may simply get caught doing harm or planning to do harm to others.

- Preventing police abuse.

- Preventing abuse by employers and corporations of their workers.

- Documentation of human rights and animal rights violations at home
and abroad, for use by the appropriate policing organizations
(ideally, imo, international organizations such as those encharged of
human and animal rights issues today, but with much more enforcement
powers than they have today... merely giving recommendations and
fines, way after the fact, to the nations committing such or allowing
such to happen within their borders, is definitely not enough to stop
the crimes).

- Focused sousveillance of those in positions of power, and
particularly those in positions of high power. We are all human beings
(for now). A lot of power can be concentrated in specific people or
groups--this is not the best situation, but that's just the way things
are. However, these people or groups should not be allowed by the
majority to live in total unaccountability and secrecy... particularly
because their actions, their 'conspiring', and so on, affect many
others' lives, sometimes in very deep ways. Their decisions can mean
the life, imprisonment, or death of some (or sometimes many, sometimes
many many) other human beings.

- Huge employment opportunities. Very few people could afford, or be
inclined to, without compensation, donate a lot of their precious
lifetime to become sousveillance agents. So... as the opportunities
for employment decrease with time, particularly as technology starts
taking more and more jobs from the economy, there seems to be a niche
there which could potentially grow indefinitely. It would be nice if,
once given the appropriate training and certification, any decent
person could engage, maybe with greatly loose, open schedules (or no
schedule at all... you do it when you want to do it... you can
consider it a "back-up job" that is always there), on sur/
sousveillance activities. Always in groups of at least 3 people (who
don't know each other), chosen at random from a huge pool of
sousveillance "agents" who happen to be online at any given time, they
could go in specific missions to investigate, eavesdrop, gather
evidence, etc., in situations or contexts which require such.

- The more power and influence a person or group has, the more lives
her/its everyday decisions touches... the more intense the scrutiny
that may fall upon her/it.

- Those people, groups, organizations, agencies, governments trying to
create (illegal, hopefully according to international law, whatever
that means at the time) pockets of privacy, could be easily spotted,
and something done about it. A "transparent society", fairly
established (after much discussion of what this means, and some
sensible agreements reached), would be, by definition almost, much
more humane, its peoples' much more accountable to each other, to
humanity at large.

- With such systems properly in place, it should be easier for us to
stop some highly visible and potentially deadly acts of terror before
the perpetrators of such acts have the time to cause mass death and
destruction. With the advent of cheap DIY bio and eventually
nanoengineering, it becomes important, for public health reasons, to
start being a lot more vigilant.

Some major problems that I see achieving this vision:

- Those in positions of power (or high power) may likely, at least
initially and probably for some time, oppose it (some fiercely). Given
the fact that, today, they have the "upper hand", it may be hard to
reverse this. They might fight, kick and scream so that this is not
done... so, without strong social support for such systems, and quite
a bit of activism, they may never come to pass. This view is hard to
accept even by the average citizen right now, still living in 20th
century technological and scientific realitites (in their minds), and
with 20th century threats in their minds.

- Even if one nation were to decide to test or implement such
sousveillance systems, others may not. Unless sousveillance systems
are organized somewhat globally, via adequate international
organizations, it would be hard to properly monitor activity of the
worst criminals and terrorists, who have the freedom to go elsewhere
to plot their misdeeds.

- It would be complicated to set up such a system. If we end up doing
none of this, maybe for lack of public support for such measures (a
public which may not hear about these possibilities in the first
place), maybe a benign superintelligence, if we are successful in
developing such, may eventually do the equivalent (both the top-down
and the bottom-up monitoring), but without taking so many resources,
and without taking so much time from people (the time that countless
sousveillance agents around the world may invest in monitoring
activities). However, my opinion is that it would be worthy to push
for such a social movement and to spark intense political action
encouraging lifelogging, transparency and sousveillance--if only
because the risks of "privacy" and unaccountability in the world are
starting to get out of hand. Such has been also looked at and analyzed
in more detail by authors such as David Brin, with his book The
Transparent Society, and I'm sure Gordon Bell and other proponents of
intense lifelogging.

--
Sergio M.L. Tarrero
Lifeboat Foundation   http://lifeboat.com