[ExI] Privacy vs the future

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Aug 27 10:33:50 UTC 2010

What exactly does privacy mean as technology advances? Today we have in
the palm of our hands the ability to record full video and transmit it
pretty much anywhere in the world.  As technology advances the ability
to record in excellent fidelity anything/everything we witness will
certainly increase.  If many of our fundamental dreams are achieved the
ability to do so will increasingly be an internalized part of our person
- inside the skin.

For this to happen the notion that it is legitimate to forbid the
recording of any interaction with anyone becomes problematic.    Such
would effective forbid an enhanced individual such as many of us will
likely soon be from using parts of his her sensory capabilities and
parts of his her brain and memory.  It would effectively be handicapping
the individual[s] involved from acting in their full normal capacity.
  Imagine how useful it would be to be able to perfectly remember that
part of that talk or lecture germane to a current activity.  Imagine
what it would be like to never forget anything except on purpose.
 Imagine what it would be like to share something of importance with
another without being limited to a mere poorly remembered word picture
summation.

Yet this ability does have far reaching consequences.   Much that we
think we have secured by obscurity or lack of records will no longer be
so.  This has both good effects and potentially bad effects.  It is at
the least highly disruptive.

As the technology advances each of us is also under much more continuous
surveillance (in the true top down sense) by the authorities.  In some
nations and cities there are literally enough cameras and microphones to
record what everyone does outside their home and much of what they say.
 There is a move in Britain and in the Netherlands to make all speech in
all public places fair game for surveillance by authorities.   This
obviously has potentially huge possibilities for oppression and other
governmental abuse.   At the least it must be balanced by sousveillance,
observation and recording from the bottom up.

How must we ourselves change as these capabilities come online?  How
must our legal structures change to avoid punishing or the threat of
punishing everyone for the inevitable infractions of the impenetrable
web of regulations and laws that exist today?  At the very least the
state must stop punishing people for any and all behavior that does not
harm another or amount to the initiation of force.  Else the massive
inevitable surveillance capability is very problematic indeed.