[ExI] NASA tease on SETI find

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:25:56 UTC 2010

The most anticlimactic aspect is that the bacteria are not a separate
highly divergent clade like Archaea but rather members of our own tree
of life that adapted to opportunistically incorporate arsenic in their
DNA. Archaea may have originated DNA separately from Eubacteria, thus
implying that the development of simple forms of life may consist of
distinct phases, each of which could be relatively likely to occur
sequentially, rather than requiring a single complicated origination
event. Archaea have thus implications for the Fermi paradox. GFAJ-1 do
not point to a separate origination event on Earth and thus have
limited importance for astrobiology, aside from supporting the idea
that life could be based on various combinations of elements - and
this is not that important for discussions of e.g. likely filters on
our way to sustained space colonization.

Rafal

2010/12/2 Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com>:
> Yes, like so much about NASA: big hype over almost nothing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Rafal Smigrodzki, MD-PhD
Chief Clinical Officer,
Gencia Corporation
706 B Forest St.

Charlottesville, VA 22903

tel: (434) 295-4800

fax: (434) 295-4951

This electronic message transmission contains information from the
biotechnology firm of Gencia Corporation which may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by
telephone (434-295-4800) or by electronic mail
(fportell at genciabiotech.com) immediately.