[ExI] NASA tease on SETI find

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 3 02:42:09 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki
Subject: Re: [ExI] NASA tease on SETI find

The most anticlimactic aspect is that the bacteria are not a separate highly
divergent clade like Archaea but rather members of our own tree of life that
adapted to opportunistically incorporate arsenic in their DNA...Rafal

2010/12/2 Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com>:
> Yes, like so much about NASA: big hype over almost nothing.
>
> Dan
> From: "ablainey at aol.com" <ablainey at aol.com>
> Complete anticlimax...

I am surprised by the disappointment expressed by several posters.  This was
a hellll of a find.  I wouldn't expect anything to incorporate arsenic into
the tissues.  This opens up possibilities for the panspermia notion, as well
as causing me personally to increase my own estimate of the number of star
systems that support life.