[ExI] Alcock on Bem in Skeptical Inquirer.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 14:14:10 UTC 2010

On 7 December 2010 01:58, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Well, confirming doesn't work either, as Popper showed. I'm enough of a
> falsificationist to think that what you should try to do is find a bunch of
> ways to disconfirm your idea, test them, and if your good guess doesn't get
> disconfirmed accept it (provisionally) until you or someone else comes up
> with a better, more comprehensive, more powerful idea that doesn't also
> *unexplain* findings already pretty well corroborated by earlier
> experiments.

Yes, this is in fact more accurate. And in any event I think any science
involves some inevitable Occam-razor's assumption.

In this respect, the real debate is what may be the most economical
explanations for "psi" phenomena.

If I have to suppose that some angels from dimension X jumped out of a time
machine to falsify the data, telepathy sounds as a more plausible
explanation until and unless otherwise excluded.

Every time a phenomenon can be explained as a statistical artifact, I would
be more inclined to go with this solution...

--
Stefano Vaj