[ExI] Wikileaks

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 9 17:06:59 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of David Lubkin
Subject: Re: [ExI] Wikileaks

Spike wrote:

>>Ja, and it feels to me like they blame the wrong guy...the real leakers
are those who
>>put anything potentially damaging on any network that had computers
>>with a flash drive anywhere in the system.

>There are two aspects, which both need to be safeguarded. Can you access
secure information and can you remove it from the secure location? There
needs to be both technical and human monitoring, appropriate to the
information being protected.

>Safeguarding against this was already old tech thirty years ago. Limit what
people have access to. Log what they do access. Raise a flag if they're
trying to do more than they should be.

>In this case, the bare fact of the leaks means that someone (presumably PFC
Manning) *did* access enough material ... And he did slip through the
safeguards that are supposed to weed out people who will pass along
classified information.  -- David.

There is an interesting aspect of this which is consistently being
overlooked in the mainstream press.  *Any* info that can be downloaded on a
flash drive is not legitimately classified info, even if it is improperly
marked as such.  If anyone put actual classified info on that kind of
system, that person is in big trouble, and may lose their clearance.  Any
info on an open system like that cannot be verified as having not been
corrupted.  There is no control over what Assange or anyone else could have
composed, deleted or inserted among apparent diplomatic posts.  None of this
material is of any value, and isn't worth the effort to comb thru it.