[ExI] rocke fuel was Re: SpaceX launch

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 03:39:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM,  "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ... On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
>
>>I wonder if there's a chemical reaction that can take its reactants up to
> plasma phase, without need of external input? Adrian
>
> No.  The ionization energy and Gibbs free energy numbers for all the
> elements are enough to prove there is no magic chemical reaction waiting to
> be discovered.  Those numbers show that hydrogen and oxygen is waaay good,
> with only wacky hard to control stuff like hydrogen and fluorine being
> better.  If we could handle liquid fluorine we could do *a little* better
> than the hydrogen and oxygen reaction, but we might have complaints from the
> local proletariat should we leave behind huge clouds of hydrofluoric acid
> etching to opacity the windshields on their Detroits and so forth.  {8^D

Spike is correct here.  The best you can do with hydrogen and oxygen
is about 4.5 km/sec exhaust velocity.  You need about twice that to
get a mass ratio 3 rocket into LEO.

Heating hydrogen to 3000 deg K will get you 9.8 km/sec exhaust
velocity.  It's entirely possible to do this with a big laser beam,
several GW, for a reasonable sized vehicle.  3000 deg K is 600 deg
under the melting point of tungsten.

The trick is to co-flow the gas and laser light to reduce the reradiation.

Keith