[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 23 14:20:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 01:39:43PM +0000, BillK wrote:

> To the flies trapped in amber it will probably look like suicide.

I don't know how exactly it will look to the frozen people, but
I hope they survive it. Good luck. They're probably going to need
it.

> The upload will blink into life and within a few seconds of real time
> blink out again.

While there will be ephemeral species, others could outlast
the Sun.

> Even though they may have lived a thousand lifetimes in those few

Maximum speedup is probably 10^9, so a second is worth only
about 30 years. With 10^6 a second is about two weeks.

I don't know that the substrate doubling rate is, but it
would be probably in hours to days rather than minutes.