[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Alan Grimes agrimes at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 26 17:41:34 UTC 2010

Ben Zaiboc wrote:
> Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote a bunch of rather impolite and inflammatory things.

> There is an analogous absurdity in someone who claims to have 'never even been on a date' proclaiming
> on the sexual motivations of transhumanists. You know nothing about
the mental states of the people who
> frequent Extropia Core, and I can say this with a good deal of confidence.

They express themselves quite plainly. The ones that don't are merely
being properly modest.

> "my only prospects have been offered by homosexual men! =\": I find that faintly offensive.  Not that I
> blame you, and I acknowledge that the offense is my own
responsibility. But I'm pointing out that it can
> cause offense (in case you didn't realise).

THAT?!?!??! IMPOSSIBLE!!! If me talking about my own sexual frustrations
offends *ANYONE* then there must be something profoundly wrong with that
person.

> Apart from anything else, some of those homosexual men could
> be your greatest allies.  They know a lot of useful stuff. Do you have
any gay friends, male or female?

The only female who has chosen to be my on-line friend claims to be a
kinky asexual...

> Sexuality is a basic part of human nature, and it will permeate just about any human interests,
> including transhumanism, but it's probably a good idea if you learn
more about it (other peoples' not
> just yours) before sounding off about it in relation to anything.

Yes!

> Get laid. That's a good first step. It's not difficult (really, it's not), you just have to realise
> that the biggest obstacle is *not* other people.  And it doesn't
matter how ugly or fat or skinny or
> limb-deficient or anything else you might be (including mysogynistic.
It's a funny old world).  Learn
> about body-language, eye-contact, being interested in other people and
acting confident.  Fake it all/
> if you have to.

I'm turning 33 next week... I have a house, a pile of gold and silver,
no debt (even mortgage!), My physical appearance is actually rather
good. But no, I couldn't get a date to save my life. I'm trying to talk
a girl into being my first date on OKCupid, it's almost scary how well
matched we are. We were talking about anime so I called us both Otaku,
but she seems to have taken offense to that. =( If I can't get her to
date me once, for even ten minutes, ending with a slap to my face, then
it simply isn't going to happen in my lifetime. =(

> Come on, you're an extropian (I presume).  You know the drill.  Find what works, use it. If it doesn't
> work for you, try something else.

I have a null feedback signal. There is no way to apply any kind of
hill-climbing algorithm. It's still purely monte-carlo for me. =(

> Rinse and repeat until success. Then raise the bar a step.  And with
> something as universal and basic as sex, success is guaranteed!
Everybody (almost everybody) wants sex.
> Especially with someone who's sympathetic (but not sycophantic),
attentive (but not clingy) and
> understanding (but not obsessive).

Recently, I'd been harboring the hypothesis that women don't actually
have sex drives at all. The only reason they bother with men at all is
that they need to have someone strong around the house to open vacuum
sealed bottles for them.

> Come back when it's no longer a big deal, and *then* talk about the sexual motivations of
> transhumanists.

That is functionally equivalent to saying "don't come back". =(

--
DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.