[ExI] revive thread with new and improved content,

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 30 00:52:12 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-28 22:17, spike wrote:
> It occurred to me that the process of copulation is a real time
> simultaneous positive and negative feedback control system, where the
> control law is derived in real time by trial and error. Is not this what
> one does (or rather two do) when engaged in amorous activity? We watch
> and listen carefully, adjust accordingly: if she, he or they do this
> then we touch here, if she does that then caress over there, if she
> sprays us with mace, we shriek in agony and attempt some other approach,
> such as feigning a seizure.

Teledildonics has been around for a while, but I think you are right
that there is a need to go beyond the (likely tricky) mechanical
elements. Signal processing and the right user interface designs are
going to be the real selling points once the kinks of the hardware are
straightened out.

I chatted with an entrepreneur in the business, who had subscribing
customers who "networked" with each other. I really think those data
streams contain gold: run Kalman filters on them to make them predictive
and smooth out network lags. Calculate eigensmooches that are *just
right*, and can be both used to reduce bandwidth, might have the same
appealing effects as averaging faces and be invoked as macros. In fact,
with macros one can do erotic things one's normal body cannot - rapid
repeats, sampled motions, extra limbs etc.

Hidden Markov models or reinforcement models linked to GSC or vocal
sentiment analysis to learn what behaviors are appropriate in what
situations, and slowly build a proper sexbot behavioral repertoire.
Generally, the more data to play with, the better chances it can be
mined for erotic benefit - especially if one can figure out how to
estimate hedonic state from various cues.

My iphone has a simple app that uses the accelerometer to estimate sleep
phases from body movements (no idea how it handles two people in the
bed) and then uses that to try to wake me up at the optimal time. It is
a neat demonstration of how a simple data channel can detect a fairly
complex biological state. I wonder what other simple channels found in
current computers and sex toys could be used to figure out hedonic
information?

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute