[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 22:28:05 UTC 2010

From: John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>

Damien, that is an extremely stupid question and I think you're smart enough to
realize it was a stupid question; if you're not now embarrassed in asking it you

damn well should be.

Yes, the copy experiences self and world exactly as you do and is therefore *a*
 you. No, *you* here and now have no stake (other than empathy or envious
hatred) in that replica consciousness
And so you believe that you can copy everything about you EXCEPT for the very
most important part, The Thing That Must Not Be Mentioned; at least not
mentioned if you don't want to be laughed at by the scientifically minded, the
thing that starts with the letter "s".

The soul? Is that what you think this is about? I am not talking about
metaphysics here. I am an event that has a set of very physical space-time
coordinates. Can you copy my space-time coordinates? If my copy does not occupy
my position in space and time, it is not me. You can re-enact the battle of
Gettysburg down to the most excruciating detail, but never will your renactment
*be* the battle of Gettysburg.

 Stuart LaForge

"There is nothing wrong with America that faith, love of freedom, intelligence,
and energy of her citizens cannot cure."- Dwight D. Eisenhower