[ExI] Phil Jones acknowledging that climate science isn'tsettled

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 19:06:29 UTC 2010

2010/2/18 Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc>

>  This is not what the irrational observation was referring to.  Urg.

Then I misunderstood you. Sorry for that.

> Anyway, on a *different point*, that "global warming debate only exists
> because of PR, media and political spin" could be very true.  Although, I'm
> not entirely sure the world and society feeds off of PR.  Some folks are
> sequestered in their studies reading peer-review papers and still others
> are withdraw to their labs working on experiments about effects
> of temperature rises on life forms.  I do very much agree with you on the
> influence of political positioning, and its PR, on the GW debate.

Since I read Dawkins' The Selfish Gene, and the chapter about memes, my
worldview has changed greatly. It's one of those moments when you slap
yourself on the front, and say "why I didn't think of this before?"  The
thought of human minds as an arena for competing memes is unsettling, but
self-evidently true, at least to me.
The GW debate seems to be a competion between memes, some grounded in
evidence, others instead floating on thin air but finding good support in
other pre-existing memes like political orientation, mankind's place in this
world (and thus what it can or is able to do, or not), and so on. It's very
difficult to discuss this kind of things since most people are already
entrenched in one position and can interpret any discussion as a personal
critique. I am open to suggestions.

Alfio