[ExI] mind body dualism

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 09:06:37 UTC 2010

On 5 July 2010 20:25, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> "Functional equivalence at the sociological level"--a teleporter "clone"
> identifical to the original--might very well become accepted once such an
> innovation arrives, but the doctrine of functional equivalence at the
> sociological level is what fascist and communist and corporate consumerist
> ideologies use to make individual persons fungible and disposable. Hell, no.

This view may well remain an option, and still end up becoming
irrelevant without any special effort by anyone to this effect.

As long as Darwinian whispers defining our survival istinct do not
kick in, "survival" remains an abstract concept,.depending on the
metaphors one chooses to adopt.

And the individual opting for plane transportation over teleport out
of philosophical concerns when all his neighbours, children, lovers
and friends routinely do the opposite without making any
phenomenological difference are not going to keep airlines in
operation for long, IMHO. Especially taking into account that those
perishing in a plane crash would instead be dead for good and
perceived as such, unless perhaps under the aspect of even vaguer
metaphors such as "immortal glory".

So, while I am pretty much in agreement that rational arguments are
futile in showing the alleged "innocuity" of teleport, uploading,
downloading, cryonic resurrection, etc., I have little doubts on what
perspective will become dominant if and when they will be implemented.

--
Stefano Vaj