[ExI] New York Times piece on cryonics, featuring Robin Hanson & Peggy

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 15:37:03 UTC 2010

"trying too hard to save lives"

What kind of depressing, defeatist philosophy comes up with a phrase like that?

I've been thinking about that article, and the thing that strikes me is that nobody has said a word about the wishes of the people at the centre of the whole thing.  Don't the people doing the dying get a say?  Some of them will be happy to shuffle of this mortal coil as comfortably as possible, some will want to fight tooth and nail to the last gasp no matter what, and some will have a preference somewhere in between.  Yet here we have people presuming to make, and in some cases insisting on making, that decision for them.

Ben Zaiboc