[ExI] SBSP was Ed Kelly and Transmeta

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 16:41:13 UTC 2010

On 9 July 2010 17:11, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am also doubtful about how much weight to place on secret blue-sky
>> projects that are virtually just a few Excel spreadsheets and some
>> PowerPoint slides. Computers are full of these proposals that will
>> never enter the real world. I would wait and see whether this new tech
>> ever gets off the ground before relying on it too much.
>
> Point taken.  However, I didn't lightly abandon something I had worked
> on for years and finally had a solution that made sense from both the
> physics and the economics.

Mmhhh. Science is easy. Engineering? Why, it may or may not be a big deal.

With economics it starts getting complicate.

Law, inertia, cultural resistance and plain old stupidity and biases
then come into play.

I am not an IP lawyer myself, but you would be surprised to see how
many inventions or processes are never implemented (sometimes, not
even patented) that would make good engineering *and* economic sense.

This is why transhumanism is crucial. A cultural revolution was
necessary to shift the paradigm from hunting-and-gathering to
something else, another one is required now to bring things to the
next level.

--
Stefano Vaj