[ExI] medical marijuana

Colin D colin.dodson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:29:06 UTC 2010

Rafal:

I think you overestimate the altruism of corporate bodies. If given the
opportunity for lifetime patents, I would venture that most companies
wouldn't give two damns about real effectiveness, but on perceived value.
Just the same, if they could get away with it, they wouldn't even care if
the drug killed the people who used it (except maybe for the profit loss).
As well, big business wouldn't run on and on with research when they can
just keep selling the same old same old at the same old ridiculously high
price. As I've referenced before, productivity and progress isn't mediated
strictly by money made on it, but rather by taking money out of the picture
(pay researchers enough that they're not thinking about the pay) and giving
researchers autonomy and the tools necessary to pursue said autonomy.

Yours etc.,
  Colin D