[ExI] Hypatia- a secular saint

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 09:40:38 UTC 2010

On 24 July 2010 00:19, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I came across a FB link about Hypatia and it caused me to recall Carl
> Sagan's comments about her in Cosmos.  I would say she is a "secular
> saint" and in some ways was born many centuries too early (though she
> was definitely needed in her own time).

I have always found the usage of the world "secular" in English quite
peculiar... (in Italian it means mainly "age-old" and only unusually
"lay"),.

In fact, I think it would be more appropriate to define her as a pagan.ù

Having said that, for the little we know of her, she is really a
symbol and a heroin.

--
Stefano Vaj