[ExI] Suspended-animation cold sleep achieved in lab

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 12:50:19 UTC 2010

Whatever happened to the buzz around DADLE, a synthetic leu-encephalin that could induce hibernation in mammal species that didn't normally hibernate? I think this briefly got a mention in the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, and apparently some organ transplant people were looking at its tissue effects.

 I know taking a nap for a few months like a bear does for winter isn't as exciting, but it makes interplanetary travel a lot easier, and might buy a terminal illness patient a few months if there's something (like a new treatment, or the birth of a grandchild) you believe is imminent.

Tom