[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groups yearning forcyber-heaven

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 09:55:13 UTC 2010

While I agree with all that Max says here, I do think uploading has
some kind of "special status" in transhumanism.

It is a quick bumper-sticker-like compatibility check: if one
considers uploading as feasible and desirable, (s)he is probably
positively attuned to transhumanism, otherwise (s)he is probably not.
There are exceptions to both cases of course, but I think this
generally holds. The correlation between uploading and transhumanism
is not 100% accurate, but very strong.

The feasibility of uploading follows naturally from recognizing the
brain as a device which obeys the laws of physics, performs
computations based on its previous state and current input, and uses
the results of such computations to act upon its environment and
update its state. This, which I consider self-evident, is not related
to any specific computational technology and implementation on any
specific substrate. The desirability of uploading follows naturally
from Transhumanism as a philosophy that seeks to continually overcome
human limits, including mortality and the cognitive and emotional
limits imposed by the human constitution as it naturally evolved