[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groups yearning forcyber-heaven

Joseph Bloch seculartranshumanist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 12:49:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I agree with all that Max says here, I do think uploading has
> some kind of "special status" in transhumanism.

I must disagree. Transhumanism embraces a number of disparate
technologies, and to say that any one of them is of some unique nature
is a fallacy that will serve only to weaken the diversity that is one
of Transhumanism's great strengths.

Uploading per se is no more special vis-a-vis Transhumanism than
radical lfie extension, mind-machine interfacing, genetic engineering,
artificial intelligence, etc.

What I think is a better indicator of Transhumanist inclinations is
not acceptance of any particular technology, but what one is willing
to do with that technology. The will to move beyond the limitations of
the human condition, to go trans- humanity, is the key, I think.

What we should be doing is working to get to a point where we can
*try* uploading and a hundred other things besides. If that particular
thing doesn't float your boat, then focus on some other enterprise
that has Transhumanist potential, but spend your time pursuing your
own interest, and let others focus on their own, all under the same
big Transhumanist umbrella.

Joseph