[ExI] Simulation

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Jun 18 19:19:10 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 6/18/10, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:

 And more, for the same reason that a

map is necessarily less detailed than the territory that it describes,

a virtual reality can only ever be a pale shadow of the real thing.

Nonsense. I could, for example, take a salt crystal and construct a virtual reality based on it that incorporates vast complexity that isn't there in the real crystal.Heading off a perceived miscommunication:

A virtual reality *that takes the same amount of resources in the real world as
the reality it simulates* is necessarily less detailed than said real world.  You
could construct that virtual reality, but the computronium (the most optimally
efficient computing medium physically possible) would necessarily take up more
than just that salt crystal's worth.

At least, I believe that to be the point being made.  (Not stating agreement or
disagreement.  Just trying to clarify.)