[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter groups yearning forcyber-heaven

bret at bonfireproductions.com bret at bonfireproductions.com
Sun Jun 20 15:15:14 UTC 2010

Quoting Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com>:

> So, saying uploading is feasible is not agreeing to dualism. On the
> contrary, saying uploading is NOT feasible (in principle) IS agreeing
> to dualism.

Hi Giulio! hahaha - ok yes and no - please bear with me, because I
agree with you, because we have skipped one part of my remark, and I
am not being clear I don't think:

Agreeing to everything you said and the definition - Dualism also
holds that the mind and body are separate. If we can copy the brain
into another medium, and then that medium can simulate a copy of our
consciousness, then they are indeed separate:

If we are agreeing that that is the context we refer to as "uploading"
- having two copies of the original mind being "run" in two separate
mediums (one biological, the original brain, the other synthetic, some
sort of "computer) - this has now shown that dualism is true, since
the second mind is not running in a biological substrate. So the mind
and body would then be separate - knowable, but separate. Would they
not? At the very best epiphenomenalism, mental being a cause of the
physical - but that is still distinct.

Anyway. These are the things I consider when we talk about uploading.
Some people get concerned about the technology, I think that is an
eventuality - but this is getting to be a very, very long bumper
sticker!

Cheers,
~]3