[ExI] A simple, but powerful technology for the abused

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 13:15:19 UTC 2010

Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> It's not specifically transhumanist, but this is a
> technology that I
> celebrate for its ability (at least claimed, yet to be
> established)
> for reducing horrific abuse.
>
> I found the following quote to be utterly bloody awful (I
> can only
> hope it's exaggerated, but I fear not):
>
> "it's estimated that 500,000 rapes are committed annually
> in South
> Africa, and the likelihood of a young woman being sexually
> assaulted
> is far greater than her learning how to read."
>
> Apparently, the Rape-Axe can help:
>
> http://www.thegrio.com/news/anti-rape-condoms-with-teeth-make-debut-at-world-cup.php
>
> Now this is an augmentation that has major, immediate
> effects in at
> least some parts of the world.

Nice try, but it'll fail, I fear.

For this to be effective, the potential rape victims need to know about it, which means the potential rapists will also know about it, and perform a simple pre-rape check, followed by a brutal beating if the victim is using one.

I expect the main effect will be an increase in beatings and murders, not a decrease in rapes.

Ben Zaiboc