[ExI] YES! Hard-core transhumanist splinter

Robert Picone rpicone at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 02:58:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/6/23 Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>:
> > 2010/6/23 Robert Picone <rpicone at gmail.com>
> >>
> >> Must you necessarily emulate someone's blood glucose levels based upon
> >> their pre-upload diet?  How do you manage caffeine intake?  Recreational
> >> drugs?  Libido?  Do you give the individual dials/switches for this kind
> of
> >> stuff?  Wouldn't that too significantly modify behavior?
> >
> > "Too significantly" for what? To be considered the same person? I don't
> > think so.
>
> I read the original as, "Wouldn't that also significantly modify behavior?"

You read it as intended, sorry for the parsing confusion there.

...Though, I'd say the number one cause of people failing to recognize
personalities as being the same in purely biological humans is the use of a
dopamine switch, so I can certainly see such underlying access as making
someone a different person.

I'm not convinced it has to be a big deal to no longer be the same person
though.  People acknowledge not being the people they previously were all
the time, does a difference in substrate really not qualify for the same
freakout-exemption given to a difference in age?