[ExI] few bits per second

Ross Evans ross.evans11 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 03:25:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>wrote:

> On 6/26/2010 9:36 PM, Ross Evans wrote:
>
>  Of course I have not read either work...That said, I did take
>>
>> the time to read a synopsis and and detailed review (Why It's Time for
>> the Paranormal to Come in From the Cold), these alone were enough to
>> raise any eyebrow. The same goes for 'The Lotto Effect', and again to me
>> it just seems like so much new age nonsense.
>>

> Where were these reviews? Urls, please.
>
> If you mean those on Amazon, you must mean the long review by Ben Goertzel,
> among others. (Most people on this list know Ben as the genius behind
> Novamente, a promising AGI project.) Interesting case, there. Until he read
> my book, Ben was "curious but ambivalent" about the reality of psi. Now
> we're collaborating as co-editors on a technical book with the working title
> THE SCIENCE OF PSI. How did this happen? Why, he took the trouble to read
> the book, and followed that up by reading a number of the peer-reviewed
> papers I cited. Those who babble about "new age nonsense" in regard to my
> books about psi need to start by reading them.
>
>  <snip> You seem to be conflating
>>
>> 'having an opinion on something', with being the peer of the person
>> whose work on which you have opined.
>>

> This is genuinely hilarious. You probably don't see how you've just
> undercut yourself.
>
> And of course anyone who cites Wikipedia as an authoritative source must
> have been born yesterday.
>

> Damien Broderick

The wikipedia article contains citations from other sources. Feel free to
check them out. The work of P.E.A.R has been debunked many times, I am
surprised that this is news to you. Regarding the review...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Outside+the+Gates+of+Science%3A+Why+It%27s+Time+for+the+Paranormal+to+...-a0176480171

What's this about the 'reality of psi'? It exists only in as much as your
credulity convinces you of it. Please provide a link to just one  of these
scientifically credible papers in support of the phenomena you claim exist.

Ross