[ExI] Piffling issues

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 12:39:30 UTC 2010

udend05 at aol.com wrote:

> The 'piffling issues' I referenced were the ongoing dispute
> over personality clashes and the issue of defining 'respect'
> here on this list. Surely these issues aren't going to
> impact too much on the ongoing project of getting
> transhumanism accepted into the mainstream? If they are,
> it's no wonder it's taking such a long time! I agree
> completely that from small issues spring larger ones, but
> perhaps it would be of benefit to all if we discovered small
> issues that had some relevance to what we're all doing here
> in the first place. Just my humble submission, of course.

If we can solve these issues here on this list, perhaps we can apply the methods used here, in the wider world to good effect.  The number of times that moderators have to intervene on here is remarkably low for an internet discussion list, I think.  Flame wars are nipped in the bud almost before they start, and most posters are quite diligent about avoiding ad-hominem attacks.  This is a most civilised place, I feel.

Why is that?

Imagine if we could distill the reason why, and actually use it in talking to people who've never heard of (or are hostile to) transhumanism and the various themes we want to promote.

That could be some powerful piffle, I think.

Ben Zaiboc