[ExI] psi yet again.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 29 18:14:19 UTC 2010

On 6/29/2010 12:19 PM, John Clark wrote:

>> Is it possible that you *don't* understand how lotto profits are
>> distributed?

> Is it possible that you *don't* understand that not all lotteries are
> parimutuel?

I was only talking about lotto. Why? Because you challenged me about my
book THE LOTTO EFFECT.

Still waiting for an answer to my question: how would a small psi effect
modify expected chance outcomes for lotto? I have a very strong
impression that you haven't given this a moment's thought, and that
you're mocking some sort of X-MEN fantasy of mental omnipotence that has
no bearing on the real situation.

Others on the list can play, come on people, power up your machines and
see what you get. The rule is that each guess at 6/49 possible winning
numbers is independent, and 1 guess in 1000 is available for
modification by precognition.**  What changes? Does everyone suddenly
win, destroying the lotto company (as John seems to imagine)? Do 1000
times as many people share the top division prize, flabbergasting the
statisticians? Or what?

Damien Broderick
**one minor hint: Populations show strong biases for and against certain
numbers. If by preference you are inclined to choose a given number, and
by random chance it is going to win, your psychic perception of this
future fact can't provide extra help.