[ExI] The entropy of Extropy-Chat

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Mar 1 01:09:37 UTC 2010

On 2/28/2010 6:43 PM, Spencer Campbell wrote:
> Predictably, perhaps, the first and only idea I presented fell flat on
> its face. Total silence. So, I've since changed my stance toward the
> list from "opportunistic" to "hedonistic". At this rate, I will
> probably phase you guys out eventually as my life fills up with more
> rewarding ventures. It's a tragedy of pragmatism.

Watching the Great Swobe Disaster endlessly unreel (while repeatedly
hitting Delete) has made me realize that lists *can't* effectively allow
this sort of monomania to overwhelm their dynamic. I used to agree with
those who said "Let 1000 Flowers Bloom," pick and choose from posts as
you will, ignore those other people droning on about their obsessional
interests, say something  new to keep the ball rolling into fresh areas.
But I now suspect it doesn't work that way. The commons get clogged and
the lively spirit drains away, somehow. It's a bit like standing in a
party where a couple of people are yammering at the top of their voices
at each other--in principle you can chat with the person beside you, but
in fact most people just pack up and leave.

I might be wrong about this. I'd be interested to hear other opinions.
If there's anyone still here not named Swobe, Papaioannou or somewhat
less frequently (exact numbers available on request) Clark.

Damien Broderick