[ExI] Accelerando

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Mar 2 16:18:42 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of BillK
> <http://www.inhabitat.com/2010/02/09/revrev-makes-energy-gener
> ating-gyms-a-reality/>
>
> Many of us have been to the gym and wondered why the exercise
> equipment isn't hooked up to generate electricity and feed it
> back into the grid. At long last a company in Florida called
> ReRev has answered our calls, converting existing elliptical
> machines into sources of power. Now when you hit the gym, you
> can burn off those calories while creating some renewable
> energy for a carbon negative workout.
>
> :)
>
> BillK

I know the answer to that question BillK.

> Many of us have been to the gym and wondered why the exercise
> equipment isn't hooked up to generate electricity...

It is because the tiny amount of energy generated scarcely covers the
capital cost of the generator.

This is not to say it isn't worth doing, for it is a great educational tool,
a valuable way to enlighten the public.  Modern people are astounded at how
hard it is to pedal enough energy to light a standard 75 watt bulb.
Athletes can do it, but the general proletariat cannot keep that bulb lit
for more than a few minutes, if that long.  As for pumping hard enough to
run a blow drier, athletes can only do it for a short stretch.  Big screen
TV?  Forget it.  Computer?  A laptop only.

I like the idea, and hope plenty of people get to see how hard it is to
muscle power our modern electric homes.  They will go immediately and start
to turn off stuff.