[ExI] intellectual property again

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 17:43:11 UTC 2010

On 3 March 2010 18:07, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Is that topic worth revisiting?  Has anyone comments on that debete here a
> few years ago?  New guys are welcome to jump in.
>
> I will start it: I now think that society is justified in providing a legal
> means of protecting information as property; in most cases current
> intellectual property law is adequate and not overly restrictive.  I
> recognize there are absurdities with protocol patenting, but I don't see a
> better way.
>
> Your turn.

I am far from claiming to have the magic bullet solving the problem to
everybody's satisfaction, but while I have not much sympathy for cartels
such as the RIAA or the MPAA or the BSA, the problem remains of finding
alternative business (and/or social) models motivating and remunerating
creative efforts.

This is even more crucial, if possible, for industrial property (read:
patents, utility models, industrial design, microchips masks, software) than
for copyright.

--
Stefano Vaj