[ExI] Social implications of widespread extropian/positivist ideals

Christopher Luebcke cluebcke at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 21:03:41 UTC 2010

Will: "Free will" isn't something that you can do away with. If it's real, it's not going to become fictional. If it's unreal, then there's nothing to do away with.

What could be a better argument for the existence of free will than to assert that people will behave differently if they believe they don't have one? Seriously, you're proposing that people are going to make decisions because they've decided that they don't make decisions?

Jeff: Aside from the problem of defining "will", in what sense one might have "will", what it would mean for one's "will" to be "free", and what it would be for one's "will" not to be "free", anyone can assert that free will is a fiction because that statement, if true, would have absolutely zero consequences for anybody. I can equally assert that free will is a fact, because the statement has an undefined term as its subject and makes no verifiable claims.