[ExI] Social implications of widespread extropian/positivist ideals.

ddraig ddraig at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:10:16 UTC 2010

On 10/03/2010, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you and I definitely don't want
> you to become homeless.

Me too!  Thanks, though :)

> And so I must ask, to what extent can the
> Australian social services help you to find a job, housing, food, etc.?

Well, we are in the middle of the worst rental crisis in Melbourne,
ever, so there's not a lot of available housing. And what there is has
something like a 3 year waiting list. So while I have been to see some
people about housing, I'm not holding my breath. I had assumed I'd
have a job within a week and just rent a place, but the job thing has
been a harder slog than I expected (I've been to two interviews in 5
years, I got the job both times, so was possibly waaaaay
over-confident).

> have always heard the Aussie system is much better than what the U.S.
> typically offers.

Well, I am on the dole, so there is that. As far as housing goes, I
have no idea, I've never been in such a position and have never known
anyone in such a position, so this is all totally new to me. I assume
there's adequate everything, but it is not something I have paid much
attention to in the past.

> I hope you can find some caring social workers,
> non-profit church volunteers and gov't employees to point you in the right
> direction.

Well, they exist. I totally hate churches as hot-beds of mediaeval
superstition, but they do have their uses when they are not repressing
people and holding back progress. There are govt programs but I feel
kind of funny accessing them being able bodied and fit and healthy.
Although I'm beginning to consider the options, the clock is ticking.

> And perhaps we have some Australian list-members who could give you some
> advice or even directly intervene.

I'm not sure what anyone could do other than offer me a place to stay
or a job (or rent me a house).

I've got a bunch of numbers to call and people to visit etc. But for
some really unfathomable reason I seem to attract broken people, so
I'm aware of just how grim it can be for a lot of people (such as my
housemate) and I feel really funny about making use of the available
resources given that there's people out there in far worse situations
than mine.

Sort of. Maybe I'm just not taking things as seriously as I should,
given the situation I have mentioned here (there's other stuff,
possibly scarier but I really don't want to freak people out with my
life, that's not really what this list is for, I feel). Dunno, in the
back of my mind is a little voice "don't panic, it will be fine"

Maybe I should panic. Dunno. It's not my style. Things just don't
stress me, especially nowadays.

> KEEP US POSTED!!

Um. Okay.  I really just brought this stuff up as an example of
"people who feel they are not responsible for their actions can be
dangerous/scary" and it has turned into a big discussion about me. We
Australians get all squirmy at such points. :-o

> Best wishes,

Thanks :)

I have a job interview tomorrow (*), so fingers crossed
Dwayne

* - I was actually in the process of starting a business when all of
this blew up, with an eye towards employing a bunch of my unemployed
friends. Funny how things work out
--
   ddraig at pobox.com irc.deoxy.org #chat
   ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...