[ExI] Social implications ofwidespread extropian/positivistideals.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Mar 9 23:00:15 UTC 2010

On 3/9/2010 4:18 PM, spike wrote:

>Dwayne would be ill advised to depend on charitable religioso,
> non-profiteers, government largesse or social workers, all of whom will
> likely leave one shivering and hungry on the street

Unlike, you inform him, "those greedy heartless capitalists
who can point you in the right direction.  They are the ones who
consistently come thru for us in the states."

I... see...

As in--Bob Herbert, NYT today:

"The economy shed 36,000 jobs last month, and that was trumpeted in the
press as good news. Well, after your house has burned down I suppose
it’s good news that the flames may finally be flickering out. But once
you realize that it will take 11 million or more new jobs to get us back
to where we were when the recession began, you begin to understand that
we’re not really making any headway at all.

"People... know that the big banks that were bailed out by taxpayers can
borrow money at an interest rate of near zero while at the same time
charging credit-card holders usurious rates of 20 to 30 percent.

"There are many communities across the country in which the effective
jobless rate is higher than 50 percent."

  If the greedy heartless capitalists are the ones who consistently come
thru for us, they'd better hurry up.

Damien