[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 78, Issue 28

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 16:41:58 UTC 2010

"fully infiltrate"...I guess if you don't mind your head exploding in the process. Or are you proposing that all these nanobots be zero volume? And what of their heat dissipation? That's also a lot of data to be pumping over a limited bandwidth and then consider everyone doing it in parallel. I think your perspective is too high level. Start at the bottom with a reasonable volume estimate per nanobot and re-run your simulation. There is another aspect that I'm not seeing in any of these discussions and that is the complex interactions of the neurons and glial cells. For example the Astrocytes are critical in feeding and providing a framework for neuronal migration and connectivity. They also help provide nutrient and control the chemo-taxis that the neuron cells need. Another example is the axon sheath that speeds up the neuron signal transport time.  That is not a component of the neuron itself but a glial cell that grows around the neuron branches. Do you propose that your nanobots are going to pry apart this tightly coupled symbiotic relationship and put it back together again? Not buying the hand waving.

I'm not talking about simulation/emulating anything. To accept that shift in terminology is to accept a straw man argument. Nope, not gonna happen.

What we are talking about is taking the complex electro-chemico-toplogical-dynamic of a mind and --moving-- it, not copying it. A copy is separate instance and not equivalent to --me-- surviving, that copy is a 'it/him/her' and is separate from my survival. That copy is a clone.

Your claim for a loss of continuity assumes somethings that are not reasonable when looking at real structures made of atoms that require nutrients, waste removal, and heat management.

---- Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:46 AM,  <jameschoate at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> But given nanotechnology, it would not be hard to fully infiltrate a
> brain and be able to read out the structure and activity in real time.

>  It would not take long for a cloud of nanocomputers to learn to fully
> simulate the activity of a brain while writing memory into the
> physical brain.
>
> The nanocomputers could run faster than real time.
>
> There is no reason for a lost of continuity between running as a
> simulation and running in a physical brain.
>
> I discuss this in "the clinic seed."
>
> Keith
>
> PS, sorry for posting the bit about the scale of the MMO.  Read
> Slashdot before extropy-chat this morning.

 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

jameschoate at austin.rr.com
james.choate at g.austincc.edu