[ExI] Bodies

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:56:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  <jameschoate at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> No, I think it condemns your point to irrelevance. Expecting the same sort of emergence from a simulation as one gets from a cosmos is just silly, beyond taking seriously.

Why?

Even the crude, low level resolution simulations we have today have
exhibited emergence.  In fact, at least one phenomena that emerged in
a "core wars" type simulation was later found to occur in real world
genetics (something to do with parasitic elements as I recall).

> One uses a simulation or model to understand the cosmos, the reverse doesn't work because the model is itself an instance of that cosmological reality. You're drawing a distinction of type that is specious at best, by reversing the logical dependencies.

It's turtles all the way down.

Keith