[ExI] Bodies

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 16:23:53 UTC 2010

---- Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> How do you know you are not in a simulation right now?

When one considers the Plank limitations on reality that isn't as crazy as it sounds. If we are in a simulation then our 'knowing' is really a mis-use of terms. Because our presumed free will and independence are nothing more than algorithmic in nature. You wouldn't be able to know unless you were either programmed to find out or a bug allowed that unintended branch point.

> Say the real universe is filled with technophiles and the lot of us
> are being run as a simulation to see how intelligences would develop
> when they think they are alone.  (Another answer to the Fermi
> question.)

Not really, the simulation isn't the cosmos and by design there aren't any other aliens.

> If you prey to the operating system and it answers you back, you know
> you are in a simulation (or deranged).  The converse is not true.

The converse of what isn't true?

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus